- Deutsch de
- English en
InITIATIVE Respnsible Science
Responsible Science, in the EU context also known as “Responsible Research and Innovation“ (RRI), actively involves the civil society in research and innovation processes so that current challenges can be met in a more effective way and in line with the values, expectations and requirements of society. On the part of the European Commission the concept is gaining more and more importance as a new orientation framework for research and research support. It was, for example, also integrated into the current research framework programme “Horizon 2020”. Austria has also included Responsible Science as an important element in the “Action plan for a competitive research area” of the Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy (BMWFW). One of the first steps that resulted from this is the establishment of an Alliance for Responsible Science, which numerous institutions from science, research, education and practice have joined already.
Alliance for Responsible Science
The prominent starting signal for the Alliance was given in a festive event on June 17th, 2015.
The partner institutions have entered a communication and development process together, which is to advance the further development of Responsible Science. To this end they are supported by the competence network “Responsible Science – Science Cultures”.
Numerous future members of the Alliance for Responsible Science have already signed a memorandum during the kick-off, which expresses the integration of the Responsible Science concept in their scientific work and their institutional development.
Memorandum of Understanding
With the signing of the memorandum 37 institutions declare that they are willing to pursue a number of goals, for example:
- Translation of societal challenges and general principles into scientific, scientific and artistic as well as institutional strategies, concepts and projects; operationalisation of the concept of the “societal impact factor”
- Reflexion and integration of relevant concepts, e.g. Citizen Science, Crowdsourcing and Open Innovation in institutional key profile points, research, development and fostering of the arts, teaching and further education
- Retranslation and return of the scientific and artistic findings into politics and administration, economy and business, media and the civil society
The full version of the memorandum is available for download here:
Current members of the Alliance for Responsible Science
The following 13 institutions signed the memorandum on June 17th, 2015:
- Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy
- Universities Austria
- Association of Universities of Applied Sciences, Austria
- Austrian Academy of Sciences
- Ludwig Boltzmann Society
- Austrian Science Fund FWF
- AIT Austrian Institute of Technology
- Natural History Museum Vienna
- Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research (OeAD-GmbH)
- INNOC – Austrian Society for Innovative Computer Sciences
Cooperating institutions from practice
- Bundes - Blindenerziehungsinstitut
- Red Cross
Your institution can also take part!
Taking part in the Alliance is open to all interested institutions which regard Responsible Science as an important concept for future-oriented institutional acting in the context of scientific and artistic performance expectations and societal requirements.
Should your institution be interested in becoming a member, please send us an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The staff of our Center for Citizen Science will then contact you immediately to carry out the necessary steps.
REVIEW of the KICK-OFF event
on June 17th, 2015
We are happy to welcome the following other 24 members:
- University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna
- Karl Landsteiner University of Health Sciences
- Centre for Social Innovation
- CeMM - Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences
- IMC University of Applied Sciences Krems
- Environment Agency Austria
- ZOOM Children’s Museum
- Institute for Advanced Studies
- Austrian Institute of Economic Research
- St. Pölten University of Applied Sciences
- Grammar school Rahlgasse
- ACIB – Austrian Centre of Industrial Biotechnology
- Democracy Centre Vienna
- Danube University Krems
- University of Applied Sciences Technikum Wien
- Rudolfinerhaus Privatklinik GmbH
- Science Shop Vienna
- Essl Foundation
- Regional Centre of Expertise in Education for Sustainable Development (RCE Vienna)
- Lauder Business School
- University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna